St Margaret’s Community Church is a church plant from St Jude’s Southsea, and it's safeguarding policy and procedures are those of St Jude’s.
PARISH OF ST JUDE’S, SOUTHSEA
POLICY STATEMENT FOR THE SAFEGUARDING OF CHILDREN AND VULNERABLE ADULTS.
THE FOLLOWING POLICY STATEMENT WAS AGREED AT THE PCC MEETING HELD ON 17TH JULY 2018.
As members of the PCC we commit our church community to the support, nurture, protection and
safeguarding of all, especially the young and vulnerable. We recognise that our work with children,
young people and vulnerable adults is the responsibility of the whole church community. As well as
being fully committed to acting within current legislation, guidance, national frameworks and the
Diocesan Safeguarding procedures, we will also endeavour to act in an open, transparent and
accountable way. We will work in partnership with the Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers, Children and
Adult Social Care Services, the Police, Probation Services and other agencies to safeguard children
and vulnerable adults and assist in bringing to justice anyone who has committed an offence against
1. In accordance with the House of Bishops Safeguarding Policy we will ensure that all the
necessary checks are made to promote the safe selection and recruitment of ordained and lay
ministers, paid workers and volunteers with children, young people and vulnerable adults, and
provide the necessary supervision, support and training to them in order that they can
undertake their roles effectively.
2. We will display the Church of England Safeguarding Policy –‘Promoting a Safer Church’ and have
an action plan to show how we comply with this.
3. We will respond without delay to every concern raised that a child, young person or vulnerable
adult may have been harmed, or be at risk from harm, or about the behaviour of an adult or child.
4. We will fully co-operate with the Diocese and appropriate statutory agencies during any investigation into abuse, including when allegations are made against a member of the church
community. Care and supervision is provided for any member of our church community known to have offended against a child or vulnerable adult, or to pose a risk to them.
5. We will ensure that pastoral care is respectfully made available to children and vulnerable adults and their families and to any member of our church community and their family against whom an allegation is made.
6. We are committed to reviewing our policy annually, and as part of this, check that our parish safeguarding procedures are up-to-date and relevant.
Our Parish Safeguarding Representative for Children is: Suzie Platt
E-mail Phone: 023 9275 0442
Our Parish Safeguarding Representative for Vulnerable Adults is: Mark Mavrikakis
E-mail Phone: 023 9275 0442
If you have a safeguarding concern please contact our safeguarding officers.
If you are unable to contact the St Jude’s team, and your concern is urgent, then please contact the
Portsmouth Diocesan Safeguarding Team on 02392 899677 during office hours, or their mobile
If it is an emergency situation, please phone 999.